Frequently Asked Questions
What is Homes from the Heart?
Homes from the Heart is a nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, MO. We are also a legal N.G.O. in El Salvador. Since 2001, we have been serving the poor by building homes in areas affected by natural disaster and extreme poverty. To date, we've built over 500 homes and have more in progress!
What is your model?
In serving the poor, we believe it is important to work with a model of partnership. Rather than giving handouts, the people for whom we build work alongside us, earning their new home as well as a sense of pride in that ownership. We also understand that for a house to become a home, there needs to be connection and community. To that end, we don't just partner with individuals, but with communities. We establish a connection with a community leader before we start our projects, building on the existing community ties and joining them, rather than building rows of houses and then interviewing tenants.
Where do you work?
We work in El Salvador, Haiti, Guatemala, and Nicaragua. Check out our projects pages for details on our efforts in each country.
Are you a Christian organization?
Yes. We are an ecumenical, Christian-based nonprofit organization. Homes from the Heart is founded on Christian values, and we seek to glorify God in our work abroad.
Do you have to be a Christian to volunteer with Homes from the Heart?
No. We welcome help from people of all faiths or no faith. Many of our volunteers are connected with us through secular university programs offering alternative break experiences. We couldn't be more excited that people want to help us build homes for the poor, regardless of their faith!
How can I get involved?
- Start or join a volunteer trip. We would love to have you travel with us for a week (or longer!) and build a home for a family in need.
- Volunteer from home. Contact us to let us know you're interested.
- Donate or start a fundraising project. Help us take care of the practicals by supporting us financially, and help to fund a family's new home. All donations are tax deductible.
- Give your extra stuff. Did you know you can donate items such as your old iPod, computer, vehicle, etc., and that will be turned into dollars for us to put toward homes. Visit our donations page to see a full list of options.
- Spread the word. Tell your family and friends about Homes from the Heart, ask your employer about adding Homes from the Heart to your workplace giving program, write a blog post, follow us on social media, contact us to request brochures... the possibilities are only limited to your imagination!
- Become a partner group. If your school, church, or other group would be interested in forming teams to volunteer with us, let us know. We would be happy to have you join the Homes from the Heart family of volunteers.
For further questions about our volunteer program, please visit our Volunteer Page.